MG Cars wanted to raise awareness of their new SUV range and specifically target the family audience. With kitted out tech at affordable prices, the SUV range was ideal for the family market, but in order to reach the target audience effectively MG needed help to understand the complex purchasing stages and behaviours of consumers.
We set out to redesign MG cars entire approach to brand and performance marketing starting with an integrated campaign to raise brand awareness of the SUV range. Our goal was to attract the target family audience and understand the purchasing stages of consumers to reduce dependency on paid search and focus on direct traffic to reach families.
We were tasked with selecting a topic that would resonate with MG family audience whilst attracting the attention of the national press. Our strategy was to gain brand awareness whilst collecting cookie data for effective wider remarketing and marketing techniques.
- We started the campaign by conducting a survey asking school children who they thought was a better driver, Mum or Dad. The narrative was developed to gain news publication attention whilst targeting the family audience. Children were asked broader questions of their parents driving including who drives the fastest, who has the best choice of music, who is most fun to be in the car with etc.
- From the survey results we created and issued a Press Release to national and local press titles along with motoring titles.
- To encourage backlinks back to the SUV hub we created a landing page to host the survey results. This landing page included the video below, created by tmwi featuring children giving hilarious responses to some of the questions asked in the survey.
- To drive engagement to the landing page, we posted organically on MG social accounts and worked with 5 parental influencers/bloggers. The influencers created ‘travelling with children guides’ to further support the campaign and help reach the target audience.
- The Mum vs Dad landing page campaign landing page was used as a sitelink in PPC ads and Native Display.
MUM VS DAD CAMPAIGN RESULTS
RESULTS FROM MG CARS & TMWI PARTNERSHIP
The success of MG Cars and tmwi’s long term partnership resulted in a marketing revolution that made MG the fastest growing car brand in the UK, breaking all market share & sales records.
WHAT MG CARS HAD TO SAY
“What tmwi has been able to do is give us fantastic advice on how to move from traditional media to digital, where we now spend the majority of our marketing budget."
"They have taken our budget and really maximised it, helping the create more test drives and ultimately, more sales."
DANIEL GREGORIOUS – HEAD OF SALES & MARKETING